MODES for Chiddingstone Castle
Maria Esain, Curator
Title of Project
Upgrading MODES software and training of curatorial staff and volunteers
What was the Project aim(s)?
- To upgrade our old database to a new, more user-friendly version
- To train curatorial staff and volunteers to make the best use of it
What was the impact of the project?
- Our staff and volunteers have gained new IT skills and fluency in using this new programme
- A proper documentation system means better conserving the collections
- Information about the collections is easily shared with this new database, making the collections more accessible
What went well and what didn’t go well?
Upgrading the system was a straightforward process. However, getting someone to train our staff did take more time as the person was quite busy. The trainer had a museum background and understood the needs of our institution. He was also a very good communicator and explained everything clearly.
Everyone understood the need for a new database and welcomed the project.
What are your plans for the future?
Cataloguing items will be much easier with the new database. The objects will have a proper documentation system.
Overall Cost of Project
£1,100 ex VAT
Cost of upgrading from Modes for Windows to Modes Complete: £500 +VAT
Cost of on-site training for up to 6 people: £600 + VAT