Museum Development Officer
Museum Development Officers (MDO) Joanna Low and Samantha Bowen, are available to provide tailored advice and guidance to museums in Kent & Medway.
The purpose of the MDO role is to:
- Manage and deliver the Museum Development Programme in Kent & Medway.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with museums across Kent & Medway, local, regional and national agencies and other stakeholders.
- Provide interventions to strengthen future sector sustainability and enable organisational development.
- Provide professional development advice, information and support to museums within Kent & Medway.
- Managing the delivery of museum development services and successfully implement in Kent & Medway activity plan within the regional South East Museum Development Programme;
- Working with the Kent & Medway Museum Partnership (KMMP) network, as advisory group, to inform the programme, identify local museum needs and set priorities;
- Supporting and encouraging local museum networks and forums to become self sustaining;
- Facilitating and brokering partnerships with museums and other organisations;
- Providing access to information, support and advice on sector related matters;
- Supporting museums for applying for Accreditation and other sector related schemes and standards;
- Building capacity in the sector by providing skills development opportunities for staff and volunteers;
- Commissioning short-term or long-term projects that enable museums to address key needs and priorities;
- Undertaking advisory site visits, providing strategic and practical advice and support to museum staff and volunteers in improving their sustainability;
- Representing and promoting the interests of museums in Kent & Medway at a local, regional and national level;
- Advising on local sector needs and development priorities;
- Producing case studies and strategic information;
- Developing and maintaining strategic relationships with key heritage and cultural stakeholders.