Annual Data Survey
The South East Museum Development has now launched its third Annual Museums survey collecting data for 2015-16.
Please complete the survey online here: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/museumssurvey201516/.
From the last survey (2013-14) we know that in the South East:
- There were over 6.7 million visits to museums in 2013/14
- Visits to museums help contribute approximately £132 million annually to the regional tourism economy
- Over 1,297 people are employed by museums
- There were over 5,000 active volunteers for museums in 2013/14
- Volunteering was worth £3.87 million to museums
- Museums delivered 21,160 formal learning and outreach sessions that engaged 521,839 participants in 2013/14
Read the full report for 2013-14 here.
This year we are also working with the Museums Association to build up a comprehensive, up-to-date picture of the museum sector. The information gathered will be used to help demonstrate and advocate for the social and economic importance of museums both regionally and nationally to funders and stakeholders. The data you provide will be shared between the MA and ourselves in order to improve data quality and reduce survey duplication.
However, our data can only reflect the returns we receive. We know that museums in the region are undertaking ever more ambitious heritage work, and we need your returns to be able to showcase this.
Why do we collect data?
The SEMDP collects data as part of our funding agreement with Arts Council England and to help sustain investment in the museum sector. At a time when government and local authorities are facing continuing budget cuts it is imperative that we are able to evidence the impact of museums.
We are now working in partnership with other Museum Development providers in England, adopting a shared approach that will help demonstrate the value and impact of museums nationally.
What’s in it for you?
The results of this survey will help to prove the social and economic importance of museums and heritage organisations both locally and regionally to funders and stakeholders. We will publish the results and produce advocacy materials so you can use the information directly for your own purposes.
How to complete the survey
- Please complete the survey online here: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/museumssurvey201516/.
- All figures should be for the financial period 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.
- We know that sometimes providing an exact figure can be hard so if you do not have actual data, please provide your best estimate.
- If the response to a particular question is 0 then please specify this rather than leaving it blank.
- You can save and return to the survey at any time by clicking 'Save and Continue Later' at the bottom of any page of the online survey.
Questions about the survey
- The survey is being carried out by the Museums Association and the South East Museum Development programme as part of the Museum Development Network.
- If you have any questions about completing the survey you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and we look forward to sharing the results with you.