Training and Events
Review and Recruitment for Your Museum Trustee Board
Thursday 12th September 2019
Alex Lindley has worked with museum clients on board development, and has been a trustee herself, leading recruitment, training and succession planning at Scarborough Museum Trust. Alex is from of Alchemy, a Human Resources and Organisational Development consultancy.
Elaine Sansom, Museum Development Officer.
Date / Time: 12 September 2019 (10.15 coffee; 10.30am – 4pm)
Location: Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0S
Plan your journey
Getting the right people on your board can be a challenge for many small and medium-sized museums and charities. This workshop will help you face that challenge, to ensure you have the right people on your board now and in the future. It will consider both the strategic and practical aspects of resource planning, ensuring that recruitment and succession planning are put into the wider context of board review and development.
This is the second free workshop being run by South East Museums Development Partnership to help museum trustees feel confident in meeting their charitable responsibilities (the first is on 21st May in Henley on Financial Strategy and Governance).
Who should attend?
- Any trustees from independent museums in the south east who want to strengthen their boards, and particularly chairs or those with responsibility for recruitment.
- Trustees from smaller museums without professional staff
- Museum managers and honorary curators that have a role in supporting their museum boards to recruit trustees.
The workshop will include opportunities for delegates to work in pairs and small groups, to apply the content of the day to their own museums, as well as chances for trustees to share experiences.
10.15: Arrival and coffee
10.30 Welcome and introduction to workshop and sector support
Part 1: How do you know whether you have the right people on your board?
Different approaches to skills audits, reviewing your board’s performance and ongoing succession planning
Part 2: How can your working practices help you attract new trustees?
Approaches to meetings, role descriptions, committee structures
Part 3: How do you recruit and select the right people for your board?
Communicating what you’re offering to potential applicants, selection approaches and managing an informal interview process
Part 4: Meeting Museum Accreditation requirements on Governance and Board Succession Planning
4.00 depart or take the opportunity to visit the new Aircraft Factory exhibition (part of a major HLF funded redevelopment of the site)
Delegates will leave the session thinking:
- I understand how to review whether we have the right people on our board to deliver my museum’s objectives;
- I have the tools I need to design and deliver a bespoke skills audit for my board;
- I can help my board think about what we can do to attract people with the skills we need from different places;
- I understand how to apply trustee recruitment and selection techniques to my museum;
- I know why succession planning is important and I have some ideas about how we could do it in my organisation.
How to book
Due to support from the Arts Council England, the Association of Independent Museums and the Director of Brooklands Museum it is free to attend this workshop. However, please note, we reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee of £15 for late cancellations where the place cannot be re-filled.
Please book your place here: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/EGHSO/
To ensure fair distribution, please limit bookings to two representatives from each museum. If a further place is required – please email firstname.lastname@example.org