Training and Events
Museum Loans, Lewes
Tuesday 23rd October 2018
Lewes Castle & Museum, Education Room, 11.30 - 3.30pm. Arrival from 11.15am. (Lunch provided).
The Mendoza Review in 2017 reinforced the commitment of national museums to ensure that people across the country have access to their collections, by working in partnership to share their objects and expertise more widely.
This short day session will look at the practical considerations of working with Loans within a museum, looking at both historic & new. The session will include;
An introduction to all aspects of loaning- historic and acquiring; collections management procedures for loans management & investigation; Researching your loan request; Writing a loan request; Exhibition delivery and practical tips; real project case studies from national museums & projects.
Speakers include; Sarah Brown from the Collections Trust & Nicole Simoes da Silva from the Science Museum Group.
- Refresh knowledge around current best practice for the management of Loans.
- Be encouraged to get involved with all types of loans.
- Broaden knowledge about what can be achieved by working in partnership.
- Become more confident to enrich local programmes and attract new visitors.
- Help museums to become ‘loan-ready’. From the behind the scenes loans process e.g. researching collections before an initial request, through to how objects will be moved and stored after being on loan.
- Increase the skills and confidence that museums need in order to request loans of objects for exhibition more frequently.
- Learn from national, large & smaller museum Case studies, to see what is relevant to museums wanting to borrow from these kinds of institutions.