Training and Events
Arts Business Models project - sharing the learning
Monday 12th February 2018
Battersea Arts Centre
How can museums improve their own sustainability by learning from other arts organisations’ business models?
During 2016 and 2017, the South East Museum Development Programme delivered an innovative project: 'Arts Business Models,' designed to enable museums to learn from successful arts business models through a peer-to-peer approach:
- We commissioned arts business experts Alchemy to undertake a significant piece of research to identify case study arts organisations with successful business models, willing to share their learning with museums. Then we offered the opportunity for museums to each be paired with one of the case study organisations, in order to embark on a peer learning partnership.
- In addition, Alchemy wrote an important report providing an overview of key business models found in the cultural sector: what are established and new approaches, which models are emerging as ‘successful’ in the sense of enabling organisations to continue to deliver on their missions in a sustainable way? How can museums improve their own sustainability by learning from other arts organisations’ business models? We published this report to provide valuable learning to the wider museums sector
Four peer learning partnerships were brokered:
- Hampshire Cultural Trust paired with Battersea Arts Centre
- Egham Museum paired with Multistory
- New Forest Centre paired with Tobacco Factory Theatres
- The Brickworks Museum at Bursledon paired with Aspex Gallery
To conclude the project, we are bringing the partners together for an informal half-day session, to share their learning with one another and with guests from other museums. We will hear about the peer learning activities that each pairing undertook, they key insights that they gained from working together and how the learning is being applied in their organisations.
During the event also, together, we will review the programme, to identify what worked and what we might do differently to make peer learning programmes ever more successful.
The event will conclude with a networking lunch. The venue is a short walk from Clapham Junction Station.
Who can take part?
- 'Partner' ticket: Members of staff, Trustees and volunteers from the case study arts organisations and their paired museums.
- 'Guest' tickets: Members of staff, Trustees and volunteers from other museums in the South East of England.
We are grateful to Battersea Arts Centre for hosting this event.