Training and Events
Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund is open for applications
The Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund, run by the Museums Association, focuses on time-limited collections work outside the scope of an organisation’s core resources.
Begun as a three year programme in 2011 awarding £800,000 per year, the fund will continue from 2014-16 with £1m per year to award. Grants are awarded in two rounds each year to museums, galleries and heritage organisations.
This fund has been developed from the Esmée Fairbairn Museum and Heritage Collections strand and the MA’s Effective Collections programme.
So far 51 projects have received grants in the first eight rounds of the fund, with grants from £20,000 to £100,000 being awarded to a range of types and sizes of museums from across the UK.
Projects that are eligible to apply to the Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund include research into collections, conservation, collections review and initiatives to develop the use of collections. Our intention is that successful projects will include work that:
- is developmental
- builds a legacy that has an impact after the duration of the project, even if this is hard to define at the start of the project
- is in some cases innovative
- is in some cases sector-changing in scale.
The aim is that projects result in:
- better understanding of collections
- better appreciation of the potential of collections
- better use of collections.
The next deadline for initial applications is 10 September 2015.