Training and Events
Emergency Planning and Response Training (SEWS)
Thursday 5th December 2013
Preparing for an emergency is the best defence for minimising damage to your collections. This session is a mixture of theory and practical sessions, giving you information and experience of dealing with aftermath of a disaster, the materials to use and important decision making. The techniques and ideas you pick up in this session will give you confidence to deal with an emergency situation.
And don't forget that Accreditation also requires a museum to have "a clear, workable emergency plan" (Requirement 1.9).
- Emergency response: lessons learned from real fires and floods
- Initial reactions - how to respond most effectively to minimise damage
- Disaster equipment – essentials for containment, in-house treatment and safety
- Triage, decision-making and restoration techniques
- Minor incident scenario - practical exercise handling damaged material
- Emergency planning essentials – emergency management teams; working with facilities; selecting priorities
- Plan flexibility – working in major and minor situations
What to bring on the day:
As there will be a physical aspect to the training, please wear sensible shoes and comfortable clothing (and a waterproof jacket, just in case).
What you will go away with:
- A clear understanding of what can happen in an emergency and a clearer understanding of how to deal with it
- How to plan for an emergency situation
- Knowledge of which salvage material you should invest in and suppliers to use
- How to use your salvage plan effectively and how to update it if necessary
- Information packs including handouts from the day and additional information relating to collections salvage and support available
Due to expected demand we will limit bookings to a maximum of two per museum.
How to book:
If you have any problems booking or require further information, please contact eitehr Emily Nisbet-Hawkins, SEWS/KEN Preventative Conservation Officer, on firstname.lastname@example.org, or Chris Drake, SEWS MDO, on email@example.com.