Hampshire Solent Museum Development Advisory Panel
Take up a guest set at our next Panel meeting in January 2019 at Portsmouth. To reserve one of the available guest seats, please email email@example.com.
The work of the Hampshire Solent Museum Development team is informed and guided by an Advisory Panel of individuals drawn from the local museum community.
The Advisory Panel is a conduit between the wider museum community and the Museum Development Programme and ensures that their activities remain relevant to the needs of the local museums. The Panel Members, collectively and individually, act as 'critical friends' to the Museum Development Officers by informing and guiding their work.
The work of the Advisory Panel encompasses:
· Supporting the Museum Development team to understand the support needs of the Hampshire Solent museums community.
· Shaping the development of future activity plans.
· Informing and guiding the work of the Museum Development team by providing local knowledge and offering specialist expertise, acting as ‘critical friends’.
· Providing insight on key local issues.
· Acting as a ‘champion’ for museums in Hampshire Solent.
· Monitoring the progress of Museum Development activities.
· Providing an opportunity for communication with the wider South East Museum Development Programme.
The work of the Advisory Panel is open and transparent and welcomes contributions from the broader museum community. Two open guest seats are available to other colleagues at each meeting on a rolling basis.
We are also looking to recruit 2 new panel members from Hampshire Solent and Berkshire
Why join the Panel?
Asked what motivated the existing panel to join and continue their involvement, they told us about:
- Benefits of benchmarking own museum against the local sector
- Personal CPD to better understand the sector and supporting infrastructure
- Helping with internal advocacy by better representing good practice and opportunities
- Being even more aware of the range of opportunities available to the museum through SEMDP
Who are we looking for?
There are currently two vacancies on the panel.
We are looking for a well informed and forward thinking individual from the Berkshire Hampshire Solent area. Anyone who has five years' recent museum experience as paid staff, volunteer or trustee is invited to apply. The panel meets no more than 4 times a year although members are expected to contribute to discussions and appraise themselves of the papers presented at the meetings.
More details are in the Terms of Reference for the Panel. These, and past minutes, are published here: http://www.southeastmuseums.org/Hampshire-Solent-museum-development-advisory-panel
How to apply?
If you would like to make a positive contribution to the work of the Museum Development team, please send an email or letter to the contact details below including details of your relevant recent experience of working in museums and your reasons for applying.
The deadline for applications is Friday 7 December 2018.
Following the deadline, the chair and the Museum Development Officer will review the applications and arrange for an informal chat with all eligible candidates to find out more about your interest in joining and answer any questions you have about the panel and its work.
Once we have met with all candidates, we will give you feedback about the process and confirm whether we would like to recommend your appointment to the full panel meeting on 23 January 2019
If you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also find a complete archive of minutes from all prior panel meeting on our website at: http://www.southeastmuseums.org/?location_id=389
23 January 2019
Vice-Chair: Corina Westwood